Understanding Minimal Stimulation IVF
If you aren't able to get pregnant on your own, or if you are a single woman who wants to conceive a child, you may benefit from minimal stimulation IVF. Below is some basic information about this procedure and its potential benefits.
What is Minimal Stimulation In Vitro Fertilization?
All in-vitro fertilization procedures work by joining an egg and sperm outside of the body, allowing the resulting embryo to mature and then returning it to the uterus for implantation. Standard IVF procedures require the woman to take a significant amount of medication in the form of pills and/or injections. Minimal stimulation IVF, on the other hand, uses only a minimal amount of medication. In many cases, no injectable medications will be required.
Benefits of Minimal Stimulation In Vitro Fertilization
Minimal stimulation IVF offers many different potential benefits for patients, including:
- Less physical stress. – Minimal stimulation in vitro fertilization doesn’t require as much medication and therefore imposes less physical stress on the patient.
- Fewer side effects. – Some of the medications used in standard IVF procedures cause uncomfortable side effects. Because patients undergoing minimal stimulation IVF don’t take as much medication, they won’t experience as many of these effects.
- Fewer office visits. – Patients undergoing minimal stimulation in vitro fertilization don’t need to attend as many doctor’s appointments as those who undergo the conventional IVF procedure.
- Lower costs. – Fewer medications and fewer doctor visits translate to lower overall expenses.
- High success rates. – The success rates for minimal stimulation IVF are similar to those of conventional IVF.
- Lower chance of multiple pregnancy. – In most cases, doctors performing minimal stimulation in vitro fertilization will transfer only one embryo at a time, which reduces the risk of multiple pregnancy.
Who is a Good Candidate for Minimal Stimulation In Vitro Fertilization?
The best candidates for minimal stimulation IVF are patients who are dealing with unexplained infertility, male factor infertility, pelvic scarring, endometriosis or blocked fallopian tubes.
How Do I Learn More?
If you are interested in learning more about minimal stimulation in vitro fertilization, contact New York Reproductive Wellness today to make an appointment and talk about your options.