Endometriosis Awareness Month is an international health observance that takes place every March. Endometriosis is a disorder of the female reproductive system; however the effects of this disease can touch everyone in the family, regardless of gender or age. It occurs when the internal endometrial tissue starts growing outside of the uterus, spreading into other portions of the pelvic area. This abnormal tissue growth can be painful, and can lead to other complications. Here are some things to know about endometriosis:
- It is one of the leading causes of infertility among women.
- It is a common condition, affecting approximately 5 million women in the United States and 1 in 10 women worldwide.
- At this time, there is no specifically known cause. Some of the possible causes that are being studied include previous issues with menstrual flow, the immune system and the hormonal system. Another possibility is scar implantation from a previous surgery.
- It is genetic. Find out if any closely related women in your family have had it. If so, you have an increased risk of developing it yourself.
- There is no known method of prevention; however, keeping a healthy hormonal level may reduce your risk. Regular exercise, a nutritious diet and avoiding or minimizing alcohol and caffeine sometimes helps with this. Consult with your doctor on making the best proactive choices for your gynecological health.
- Infertility is one the many common symptoms. Endometriosis does not always equal infertility; however, there is often a link.
- There are four stages of endometriosis based on its severity.
- One of the most important things to remember is that endometriosis is often mistaken for other diseases. Because of this, getting an accurate diagnosis often takes much longer than it should, causing a delay in important endometriosis treatment.
Early detection is the best protection. If you think you may be experiencing symptoms of endometriosis, do not put off getting an expert evaluation and correct diagnosis. New York Reproductive Wellness is a fertility clinic serving the Jericho, New York and surrounding areas. We are happy to answer any questions you have. Call us at (516) 214-9844 or contact us online. Let us know how we can help you with your reproductive health.